Fruity Kale Breakfast Smoothie
Here is some important advice: Don’t be afraid of kale. You may have heard that kale is a superfood, that it is packed with vitamins and minerals, and that it can do wonders for your health. All of this is true, making kale a food you should add to your menu a few times a week. One of my favorite ways to use kale is in this Fruity Kale Smoothie, a quick and easy smoothie you can enjoy on busy school mornings or before your weekend workout.
Look at how to make your own fruity kale smoothie, so you can enjoy all of the health benefits that eating fresh kale have to offer!
1 medium sized apple, any color or variety, chopped
1 medium banana, peeled
½ cup of coconut milk or low sugar fruit juice of your choice (both orange juice and apple juice are great choices, use something that is 100% juice with little to no added sugar)
½ cup of blueberries
3-4 medium kale leaves, washed and dried
Crushed almonds, optional
Let’s chat real quick about kale. You can find fresh kale bunches at most grocery stores and farmer’s markets. You will find it in the leafy greens section by your lettuce, swiss chard, and cabbage. If you don’t care for some of the fruits listed above, you can substitute them with another fruit of similar size.
1. Begin by cleaning and prepping your ingredients. Simply wash and dry all of the produce well. Remove all stems, peels, etc.
2. Chop your fruits into small chunks. There is no need to chop the kale as you can add it to the smoothie recipe whole.
3. Place all the ingredients into your blender. Blend until nice and smooth.
4. If you wish for a thicker smoothie, you can add some crushed ice and continue to blend until consistency is reached.
5. Some people like to top their fruity kale smoothie recipe with fine chopped almonds or even some protein powder. This is up to you but can add a nice touch.
Your fruity kale smoothie is now ready to be enjoyed. It should be served right away. If you wish to drink it later, you can pour the mixture into ice cube trays. Then, simply remove the cubes and place them back into the blender when you are ready to enjoy your smoothie.
Don’t fear kale. Instead, give this fruity kale smoothie a try. It makes the perfect back to school breakfast or is a great way to fuel your weekends if you are a weekend warrior with a huge to do list! Give it a try, and see what the power of kale can do for you!